How to write Modern Romance
These stories are all about passion and escape – glamorous international settings, captivating women and the seductive, tempting men who want them.
Modern Key Elements
- A hero who will command and seduce. There's nothing in the world his powerful authority and money can't buy… except the love of a woman strong enough to tame him!
- A Modern heroine isn't afraid to stand up to the hero in her own way, whether she's at home in his opulent world or not. She can be shy and innocent, feisty and daring or anywhere in between.
- These stories are pure romantic fantasy with glitzy, glamorous, international settings to upstage even the swankiest of red-carpet premieres!
- High sensuality and sky-rocketing sexual tension to quicken your pulse
- Captivating internal emotional conflicts that will sustain the story over 50,000 words.
- Tone should be contemporary but with a strong intensity, delivering an instant hit of powerful emotion
- Give classic themes a fresh 21st century twist - tease, surprise and delight.
For explanations and tips about conflict, dialogue and emotion please click on I Love Romance
Featured in Modern
Modern has classic themes, but we're looking for innovative takes. What would you say if a billionaire demanded you agree to a marriage of convenience? Does a secret baby have to mean a shot-gun wedding? He might have a legendary playboy reputation, but what if she's just as notorious? Our heroes are 100% alpha but that doesn't mean they're perfect. Sheikh, Greek, Russian, Italian, English, American…wherever he's from, it's certain that he turns the heads of every woman he passes! We love to see characters from a diverse range of backgrounds, cultures and experiences – it’s all part of the international flavour of our books!
- The home of the alpha male.
- A whirlwind of intensely emotional highs and lows.
- International settings from your every fantasy!
Did you know?
- www.iheartpresents.com is a dedicated site just for Mills & Boon Modern fans with news and blogs from authors, editors and readers.
- There are 8 new Modern books available each month.
- It has been scientifically proven that romance readers have more sex!
Fun Facts about the Modern editorial team:
- Flo: as an identical twin, Flo has a major weakness for twin characters…especially if they’re gorgeous heroes!
- Nic: Nic was a teenage ballet dancer. This may come as a surprise if you’ve seen her try to walk without bashing into things…
- Grace: Grace has true Daenerys Targaryen hair. It’s a serious devotion.
Senior Editor: Flo Nicoll
Assistant Editor: Nic Caws
Editorial Assistant: Grace Thiele
Editorial Office: London, UK